Unsubstantiated Redundancy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AoA Synposis and Rules and Stuff

Go down

AoA Synposis and Rules and Stuff Empty AoA Synposis and Rules and Stuff

Post  UnsubRedun Sun May 16, 2010 6:40 pm

WHAT IS AOA?

Advent of adventure is this thing I've been thinking about doing for the longest time. Imagine a mix of MSPA and D&D, with a little Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon, and Dwarf Fortress thrown in. It's largely "turn-based", with each player (me being the DM of sorts) stating their action and that action unfolding as I tend to the other players. It's pretty passive, unless something urgent comes up or a player is in the middle of "action sequence", so if say you want to tend to the fields for a few hours I'll get back to you in a few actual hours to let you know how that's working out. Action sequences are where the traditional D&D elements come into play, but a bit more streamlined. A lot of actions are like the farming version up there, just on a much shorter scale, for example it may take you a few seconds to harvest some plants or 15 minutes to climb a cliff face.

I'll be making art for a majority of the stuff here, like maps and what the town and certain interiors look like. So, if for instance, your character decides that cow skull they found in the desert is rad as hell and wants to hang it in their house, I can update the picture of that character's home to include it somewhere. It won't be like MSPA in the sense that every action will be drawn out, since I have nowhere near the time/talent for that, but there will be a good bit of art (since I need to flex my abilities anyway; art school coming up) up in this heezy.

I'll officially start the game as soon as I get five players. This means that if you're player number six, you're SoL and you'll have to wait until the next immigrant wave hits to join up. This has the bonus of coming with more stuff and generally better health, but less experience and you won't actually be able to play for a bit. While you wait though you're welcome to help me DM and make art and generally help me keep things going smoothly until your time to chine arrives.

A thing I should note is that the size of the village will increase with NPCs over time, which will certainly help with upkeep but also strain your food reserves and really make you think about all of your extra-curricular activities.

Speaking of time, each real-time day is a week in-game. Each month is four weeks long, and each year is 12 months. Immigrant waves happen once every three months, with seasons happening about the same time. Something to remember: Winter will fucking murder you. It gets really cold in most areas, causing all water that is not underground, not stored, or not the Ocean to freeze over (except in the desert and other similar areas), most plants, trees, and crops to wither and die (so don't forget to harvest and make sure everything is properly stored), and general health deteriorate (remember to make winter coats and try not to be outside for too long). Summer is pretty bad too, but not nearly. Generally if you can make it past your first winter, you're in the clear.

STORY

For the most part, the story hasn't even been written yet. You guys determine most of it. All that exists now (I will chronicle this somewhere later as it evolves) is that you and a bunch of bros/broettes have been kicked out of your village because you were acting like bitches or whatever reason you can come up with. You set out to found your own town, that'll be better than that stupid town! With blackjack! And hookers! Really whatever you think you can build and support.

Sadly though, you failed to realize just how stupidly hostile the region you've settled in is. From deserts, mountains, plains, an ocean, and for some reason a volcano, you will be gathering supplies and trade goods, hunting beasts for survival and sport, and discovering all kinds of crazy things on your wacky adventures in trying not to die.

So you and four other peeps set off to lands uncharted, which you should probably find a way to chart soon since maps are pretty cool to have.

PLAYERS AND CHARACTERS

Each player gets one character to keep down the stress and work I'll be doing. If something happens and you want to switch, like your character is just no fun, or the character dies, or something, I'll let you take over an NPC from then on. Which means, if you have no NPCs, you're suckin', and you have to wait until the next immigrant wave rolls by. So be careful.

I'll post a character sheet in another sticky, which you can fill out, but I'll fill you in on what each section does.

PLAYER NAME: hurfdurf
CHARACTER NAME: huuuurfdurf

AGE: This, generally, isn't very important, unless it's in the extremes, so don't worry too much about it.
QUIRKS: This will not come into play often, but then it does, it'll probably be in an important way. Make some negative for extra fun, like "Afraid of Heights", or something.
HOBBIES: Your dudes will enjoy doing stuff that they... enjoy doing. Crafts relating to the hobby also tend to be higher quality.

TRAITS: Hereditary, for the most part. Gives bonuses to stats most of the time, but it can also effect stuff like genes for hair color or diseases like Sickle Cell or Hemophilia, or whatever.
STATS: Your standard RPG stats. These play a part in everything, but it's still mostly die rolls, so don't worry too much about them, but don't completely disregard them either.
-STR: Strength. I shouldn't have to explain this.
-CON: Mostly determines survivability and longevity. Arguably the most important stat.
-DEX: Accuracy and handiness and whatever.
-INT: If I have to explain this one you lose 5 points in it.
-CHA: Charisma is pretty important if you're in a leadership position, or you handle most of the town's trading.
PERKS: Despite what the name implies (I may change the name later on down the road), these aren't all positive. What they are, though, is permanent. Maybe your dude has a magically enhanced vision, or maybe they're missing a leg.

(Note: Stuff in this last section is variable, meaning it'll change from day to day, week to week.)

HEALTH: Not on a numerical scale, but on a Feeling scale. Like, "PRETTY BAD" or "REASONABLY HEALTHY".
AFFLICTION: Sicknesses or curses, and what detriments they have.
MOOD: Bad moods effect stats, good moods do too.
GOAL: Long-term goals which cannot be changed once set. Gives bonuses when achieved, and then you can pick another one.
INVENTORY: Pretty obvious. Only lists on-person inventories. It's up to you to keep an inventory of your own shit in your house and other areas. I ain't your nanny.

WHURP

I'll put more stuff here when I think of it.
UnsubRedun
UnsubRedun
Admin

https://unsubredun.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down